Green Card

Southern California Immigration Attorney With Experience and Compassion

Our Immigration Law Firm Helps Individuals and Families Come to the U.S. Legally

When clients come to Esmeralda Alfaro, INC. for family-based immigration or an adjustment of status, they feel confident their lawyer has the experience to help.

A first-generation immigrant herself, attorney Esmeralda Alfaro is passionate about helping other immigrants realize their dreams in the United States. Our entire law firm is built around these ideals.

If you are interested in family-based immigration or changing your immigration status, contact a law firm that will respect you and handle your case properly and affordably. Contact us by e-mail or call toll free at (213) 623-5758.

Family-Based Immigration

Family-based immigration is when a U.S. citizen or green card holder wants to bring a non-citizen fiancé, fiancée, husband, wife, parent, child or other relative to live permanently in the United States. The U.S. resident or citizen must sponsor the relative.

At Esmeralda Alfaro, INC., we handle both consular processing (for relatives currently living outside the U.S.) and through adjustment of status (for relatives who are in the U.S. and hold current non-immigrant visas).

Family-based immigration petitions are handled on a priority system, and it can take some applicants a long time to obtain a family-based immigrant visa. The process becomes much more complicated if the applicant:

  • Entered the U.S. illegally
  • Remained in the U.S. illegally after a visa expired
  • Has criminal convictions here or abroad
  • Has a current or previous voluntary departure order, removal or expedited removal order against him or her

If you are unsure if there will be barriers to bringing your loved one to the U.S. — or if you know there will be a problem and would like to know if it can be fixed — please feel free to contact us or call toll free at (213) 623-5758.

Adjustment of Immigration Status

An adjustment of status means your status changes:

  • From an undocumented immigrant to a legal visa holder
  • From a non-immigrant visa holder to an immigrant visa holder
  • From a visa holder to a lawful permanent resident (green card holder)
  • From a permanent resident to a United States citizen

You may also want to renew or extend your existing non-immigrant visa. You may be able to maintain your current legal status and start or continue employment while your application is being processed. The immigration lawyers of Esmeralda Alfaro, INC. are experienced at dealing with these and other issues.

Contact us by e-mail or call toll-free at (213) 623-5758. Our law offices are open from 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, and from 9:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. on Saturday.

If You Are Being Abused, VAWA Can Help You Stay in the U.S.

Don't let anyone tell you that you have to put up with violence in order to stay in the U.S.

The Violence Against Women Act, or VAWA, was created to protect U.S. immigrants from domestic violence.

The immigration status of many spouses and children depends on the continued sponsorship of a fiancé, spouse or parent.

If the sponsor is abusive, many women and children have felt forced to choose between staying in a violent home and leaving the U.S.

VAWA gives victims of abuse the right to apply for a green card or U.S. citizenship that does not depend on sponsorship.

Despite the law's name, men are also protected by VAWA if they are being abused.

If you are an immigrant dealing with domestic violence we want to help you. Contact us or call toll free at (213) 623-5758 today about VAWA.